Albert Mohler - The Briefing
The life and legacy of Billy Graham
- New York Times (Laurie Goodstein) — Billy Graham, 99, Dies; Pastor Filled Stadiums and Counseled Presidents
Graham as counselor to the presidents, evangelical leader, and technological innovator
Why there was never a hint of moral scandal in the life and ministry of Billy Graham
Personal reflections on Billy Graham
A contest of worldviews as Russia seeks to exploit key weaknesses in American society
- New York Times (Amanda Taub and Max Fisher) — Russian Meddling Was a Drop in an Ocean of American-Made Discord
- New York Times (Georgia Wells and Robert McMillian) — Facebook Battles New Criticism After U.S. Indictment Against Russians
What Russia has to gain from the decline of America's democratic institutions
Those out of line with ideological uniformity are no longer welcome in Silicon Valley
- Wall Street Journal (Douglas MacMillan) — Like Peter Thiel, Tech Workers Feel Alienated by Silicon Valley ‘Echo Chamber’
How our worldview shows up on our dinner table
When it comes to food in a fallen world, 'natural' may be too much of a good thing
Fifty years later, “The Population Bomb” is an embarrassing bomb, but with deadly consequences
What do declining fertility rates tell us about the American worldview?
A sarcophagus for one: Why Prince Henrik refused to be buried next to his queen
- New York Times (Martin Selsoe Sorensen) — Final Resting Place for Danish Prince Who Yearned to Be King: Not Beside the Queen
After decades of ideologically-driven social experimentation, Barbie returns to traditional patterns of play
How did the FBI miss obvious warning signs before Florida school shooting?
- New York Times (Richard Fausset and Serge F. Kovaleski) — Nikolas Cruz, Florida Shooting Suspect, Showed ‘Every Red Flag’
- Fox News (Katherine Lam) — Nikolas Cruz showed no warning signs before Florida school shooting, say couple who took him in
Who is to blame for last week's massacre in a Florida school?
- New York Times (Katie Benner, Patricia Mazzei, and Adam Goldman) — F.B.I. Was Warned of Florida Suspect’s Desire to Kill but Did Not Act
What exactly is common sense when it comes to gun control?
- New York Times (Ross Douthat) — No Country for Young Men With AR-15s
- New York Times (Nicholas Kristof) — You’re Wrong! I’m Right!
Indictments handed down by Special Counsel expose Russian attempts to subvert democracy
In failing to take action on DACA legislation, Congress fails both the American people and the Dreamers
Atheists want to say what they're for, but their very name leaves them forever frustrated
- New York Times (Laurie Goodstein) — University of Miami Establishes Chair for Study of Atheism
- The Atlantic (Isabel Fattal) — How Should Atheism Be Taught?
New Jersey church defies reality at 'renaming service'
A step into greater paranoia: Iran claims lizards are being used to spy on nuclear program
Seeing heartbreak when the world only shouts headlines after Florida school shooting
Why arguments about 'reputational damage' end up being arguments over mere money
- USA Today (Gene Sloan) — New Bermuda law throws same-sex marriages on Cunard, Princess ships in doubt
J.K. Rowling faces very angry, very liberal young readers
- New Statesman (Amelia Tait) — JK Rowling created an army of liberals – now they are turning against her
Who decides who tells children dark truths?
How a school dance in Utah went awkwardly wrong
- Washington Post (Marwa Eltagouri) — A school made children say ‘yes’ to any classmate who asked for a dance. Then a parent spoke up.
Who gets angry when a church school teacher is fired for violating church teaching?
- Local 10 News (Michael Putney) — Openly gay teacher fired from Miami Catholic school after getting married
- Washington Post (Cleve Wooten Jr. and Moriah Balingit) — ‘Not the right kind of Catholic’: Private schoolteacher fired days after same-sex wedding
How North Korea is winning the war of propaganda at the Winter Olympics
- USA Today (Aamer Madhani and Martin Rogers) — North Korea cheerleaders making quite an impression at Winter Olympics
- CNN (Joe Sterling, Sheena McKenzie, and Brian Todd) — Kim Jong Un's sister is stealing the show at the Winter Olympics
The meaning of the human heart, romance, and Valentine’s Day
A perfect storm over religious liberty and the moral revolution
- Religion Dispatches (Patrick Hornbeck) — LGBTQ Equality Pendulum “Abruptly” Swinging Back as Religious Exemptions Gain Victories
Massachusetts legislators consider bill that would eliminate conscience clauses
What is required to coerce agents of life into being agents of death?
- Daily Mail (Jenny Johnston) — The midwife hounded out of her job after 30 years (and 5,000 babies) because she refused to supervise abortions
What American viewers aren’t noticing when they watch one British TV show
Who is really helping the poor and how?
The shape of theological disaster: A denomination speaks with two minds and two moralities
What a moral surrender to pornography looks like
A morally-serious response in morally-unserious times
Why Kansas may be the state to watch in the upcoming election
- New York Times (Jose A. Del Real) — ‘I’m Not a Career Politician’: 6 Teenagers Run for Kansas Governor
As Pyeongchang Olympics begin, politics is never far from the front line
- Wall Street Journal (Betsy McKay) — Ice Dancing Has a Problem: Not Enough Men
- New York Times (Choe Sang-Hun) — South Korean Leader to Meet Kim Jong-un’s Sister in Highest-Level Contact in Years
Bermuda makes history becoming the first country to legalize same-sex marriage, then abolish it
- Washington Post (Lindsey Bever) — Bermuda legalized same-sex marriage a year ago. This week it abolished it.
International assessors are now coming for American kindergarteners
Why the new Gerber baby is a cause for celebration and a reminder of the work we have to do
Drama in both the House and Senate as Congress considers budget deal and DACA fix
Lessons from Poland: Why trying to shut down an argument almost always intensifies an argument
Gloria Copeland says you should not ‘receive’ the flu. Why that doesn’t mean you won’t get it
- Washington Post (Marwa Eltagouri) — A televangelist’s flu-season advice: ‘Inoculate yourself with the word of God’
An imaginary memo reveals a troubling reality about the politicization of abortion
A very dangerous debate about emotional health and abortion
- Washington Post (Salvador Rizzo) — Do Republicans want to ban abortion after 20 weeks with no exceptions?
Can we still make a distinction between those worthy of government and welfare and those who are not?
A maelstrom over a motto at the Veterans Administration
- Washington Post (Emily Wax-Thibodeaux) — Is the VA motto outdated and sexist? The head of the Iraq and Afghanistan veterans group thinks so.
Why divorce is never easy, despite the promise of one new website
Father-daughter dances as the next casualty of the sexual revolution
- New York Post (Anna Sanders and Sara Dorn) — PC culture killed our school’s father-daughter dance: parents
The real story of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood: What parents may have missed behind the benign moral messaging
- Wall Street Journal (Don Steinberg) — ‘Mister Rogers’ Fans Plan for a Few Beautiful Days Back in His Neighborhood
Do The Simpsons predict the future?
Major religious liberty issues in new higher education legislation fly under the radar
- New York Times (Anemona Hartocollis) — Republicans Stuff Education Bill With Conservative Social Agenda
The Pope bows to Communist leaders in Beijing
- Wall Street Journal (Francis Rocca and Eva Dou) — Pope Francis to Bow to China With Concession on Bishops
- Wall Street Journal (Editors) — The Bishops of Xi Jinping
- New York Times (Ian Johnson) — Vatican, Eager for China Ties, Asks ‘Underground’ Bishops to Step Aside
Why you can add the word “poemish” to your vocabulary list
Why a referendum in Ireland tells us a great deal about our place in the modern world
- Financial Times (Arthur Beesley) — Ireland set to hold referendum on abortion law in May
- New York Times (Liam Stack) — How Ireland Moved to the Left: ‘The Demise of the Church’
Secular authority tells American evangelicals that the future is going to require “theological flexibility”
Modern culture refuses to make absolute moral judgments about sex, but not about money
- The Tennessean (Joey Garrison, Nate Rau, and Dave Boucher) — Nashville Mayor Megan Barry admits to extramarital relationship with top police security officer
Yale offers a course on happiness which the professor suggests students should take pass-fail
Adult happiness linked to Research indicates adult happiness is linked to marriage in a way it is not linked to cohabitation
Signs of the times as our society is increasingly dabbing, dropping, and doping
- New York Times (Paul Sullivan) — As States Legalize Marijuana, Investors See an Opportunity
- NPR (Sarah Varney) — Is Smoking Pot While Pregnant Safe For The Baby?
- New York Times (Farhad Manjoo) — About That Joint: Marijuana Start-Ups Pass
- Associated Press (Lauren Easton) — New beat team for marijuana coverage
On the most important of all political stages President Trump strikes a different note, even as there are few surprises
New debates about homeschooling take on a new urgency
- The Week (Damon Linker) — The sickening danger of home-schooling
- American Conservative (Rod Dreher) — Homeschooling & Bullying
- AP (Carolyn Thompson) — Case of shackled kids revives home-school regulation debate
As Murphy Brown returns we have to ask, “Will she even be interesting today?”
- Washington Post (Travis Andrews) — ‘Murphy Brown’ is returning to television again with Candice Bergen
What’s at stake in historic vote in the United States Senate on the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act
How science is used in today’s contentious cultural debates
- New York Times (Editors) — The Gathering Threat to Abortion Rights
- New York Times (Editors) — The White House Puts the Bible Before the Hippocratic Oath
State of the Union preview: What to watch for as President Trump addresses joint session of Congress
- Wall Street Journal (Louise Radnofsky and Peter Nicholas) — Trump to Soften Tone in State of the Union, Pursuing Immigration Deal
- New York Times (Michael Shear Mark Landler) — State of the Union Preview: Will Trump Stick to the Script?
Planned Parenthood loses its leader in pushing the culture of death
- New York Times (Amy Chozick) — Cecile Richards on Her Life After Planned Parenthood
- U.S. Senator Ben Sasse — Sasse Statement on Cecile Richards
Reality sets in among Americans on question of LGBT rights
- Washington Post (Alyssa Rosenberg) — In three years, LGBT Americans have gone from triumph to backlash
Lament over divorcing sex from love falls tragically short
- Washington Post (Gracy Olmstead) — Divorcing sex from love hasn’t made sex more fun, more safe or less complicated
Florida legislators consider bill declaring pornography a public health problem
Big news from China reveals threats to human dignity and the cracking of the worldview in the West
- Wall Street Journal (Preetika Rana, Amy Dockser Marcus, and Wenxin Fan) — China, Unhampered by Rules, Races Ahead in Gene-Editing Trials
As monkeys are cloned in China we recognize that what happens in China won’t stay in China
What the depersonalization of dating tells us about the next generation
Why Christians must reject a two-story morality and always call sin by its proper name