Albert Mohler - The Briefing
How the loss of moral authority leads to the loss of theological authority
- New York Times (Ed O’Loughlin) — Irish Lawmakers Vote to Allow Abortion, Part of Landmark Liberal Shift
An insidious argument for abortion gains traction as pro-abortion advocates take aim at the Hyde Amendment
- The Guardian (Moira Donegan) — Yes, I do want your taxes to pay for abortion
- Washington Post (Elizabeth Bruenig) — Why this progressive Texan can’t get excited about Beto O’Rourke
How tourism in a small island in the Mediterranean is a microcosm of the moral revolution
- The Telegraph (Juliet Rix) — How conservative Malta became Europe's top LGBTQ destination in under a decade
Feeding two birds with one scone: Recommended language from PETA unveils deep cultural hypocrisy
- Washington Post (Amy B. Wang) — PETA wants to change ‘anti-animal’ sayings, but the Internet thinks they’re feeding a fed horse
- USA Today (Marina Pitofsky) — PETA ridiculed, criticized for comparing 'speciesism' with racism, homophobia and ableism
President Bush becomes ‘our brother George’: Biblical truths behind the state funeral for George H.W. Bush
The end of a religious dynasty: Are the Bushes the last establishment Protestant family in American public life?
2018 words of the year: What our language reveals about our culture?
- CNN (Andrea Diaz) — 'Misinformation' is crowned Dictionary.com's word of the year
- New York Times (Jennifer Schuessler) — ‘Toxic’ Is Oxford’s Word of the Year. No, We’re Not Gaslighting You.
Burial and the Christian worldview: What does Scripture tell us about rituals that take place after someone dies?
State funerals: What are they, where did they come from, and why do we recognize them?
What the National Cathedral tells us about America's history and national identity
The false promise of civil religion in a secular age
Thomas Altizer, theologian associated with 'God is dead' theology, dies
- New York Times (Katharine Q. Seelye) — Thomas Altizer, 91, Proponent of ‘God Is Dead’ Theology, Dies
What Einstein’s ‘God letter’ teaches us about the source of our theological authority
- New York Times (James Barron) — Einstein’s ‘God Letter,’ a Viral Missive From 1954
- Religion News Service (Mark A. Kellner) — Einstein’s ‘God letter’ hits auction block Dec. 4
- Aeon (Jim Baggott) — What Einstein meant by ‘God does not play dice’
‘It’s the real me’: Human cloning is in the headlines, but it’s not what you think
- The Guardian (Staff) — 'It's the real me': Nigerian president denies dying and being replaced by clone
A portrait of the American past: When a boy could be raised to be president
The call of duty and the Greatest Generation: The teenage Naval aviator who became president
President George H.W. Bush and the transformation of American politics in the 20th century
Why celebrity influence is not easily transferred to political candidates
- USA Today (Maria Puente,Dave Paulson and Adam Tamburin) — Oprah, Beyonce and Taylor: They 'lost' in midterms, so what about celebrity political pull in 2020?
The death of shared stories: Exploring the dangerous effects of individualistic media consumption
- USA Today (Gary Levin) — How much have younger viewers bailed on traditional TV? New stats are alarming
The real story behind the dearth of conservative late night TV hosts
- New York Times (Elizabeth A. Harris and Giovanni Russonello) — Late Night TV in Full Campaign Mode on Eve of Midterms
How a TV show reveals human’s desire for a personal, intervening deity
Why the election of the next Speaker matters far beyond the House of Representatives
- New York Times (Julie Hirschfeld Davis) — Democrats Nominate Pelosi to Be Speaker but With Significant Defections
The drama of dealmaking: Why?
- New York Times (Sheryl Gay Stolberg and Astead W. Herndon) — In Courting New Liberals, Pelosi Runs a Risk: A Freedom Caucus of the Left
Liberal parents, radical kids: The generational divide in America is a worldview divide
Watch out—Kentucky politician proposes expanded gambling as the financial fix
- Louisville Courier-Journal (Tom Loftus) — Beshear to lawmakers: Legalize gambling to help fix pension system
How a public debate between the President and the Chief Justice may reshape the American political landscape
- New York Times (Adam Liptak) — Chief Justice Defends Judicial Independence After Trump Attacks ‘Obama Judge’
- Washington Post (Charles Lane) — What we should take away from the Trump-Roberts kerfuffle
Custody battle over transgender issues exposes the massive fallout of the moral revolution
- The Federalist (Walt Heyer) — Mom Dresses Six-Year-Old Son As Girl, Threatens Dad With Losing His Son For Disagreeing
After journal of 300 million miles, NASA’s latest Mars vehicle lands safely. What does this say about us as a species?
- New York Times (Kenneth Chang) — NASA’s InSight Mission Has Touched Down on Mars to Study the Red Planet’s Deep Secrets
As scientist claims first babies have been born using gene-editing technology CRISPR, the ethical implications are massive
- The Atlantic (Ed Yong) — A Reckless and Needless Use of Gene-Editing on Human Embryos
- Stat News (Sharon Begley) — Claim of CRISPR’d baby girls stuns genome editing summit
- Associated Press — Chinese Researcher Claims First Gene-Edited Babies
- Washington Post (Carolyn Y. Johnson) — Chinese scientist’s claim of gene-edited babies creates uproar
Why having absolute access to what we ‘want’ will never lead us to a new heaven of our own making
Architectural aesthetics and the Christian worldview: Why we don’t need courthouses that look more like high school hangouts
The morality of global missions: How should those in the developed world look at hunter-gatherer tribes?
- New York Times (Jeffrey Gettleman, Hari Kumar and Kai Schultz) — Isolated Tribe Kills American With Bow and Arrow on Remote Indian Island
- Wall Street Journal (Corinne Abrams and Rajesh Roy) — American Missionary Killed by Isolated Tribe Wrote of Confrontation With the Group
- USA Today (Ashley May) — American missionary killed by remote tribe leaves behind diary: 'I hope this isn't one of my last notes'
- New York Times (Kai Schultz, Hari Kumar and Jeffrey Gettleman) — Sentinelese Tribe That Killed American Has a History of Guarding Its Isolation
Motivation vs. methodology: What the modern missions movement has taught us about how to most effectively reach the unreached
Why Christians should pay close attention to major issues raised in new climate change report
- New York Times (Coral Davenport and Kendra Pierre-Louis) — U.S. Climate Report Warns of Damaged Environment and Shrinking Economy
Why thanksgiving, rightly understood, is a deeply theological act
An apologetics of thanksgiving: Examining the intellectual and moral problem of giving thanks for those who don’t believe in God
The theological story of Thanksgiving: How the history of this holiday explains our celebration today
Why democracy requires electoral integrity and a basic level of trust between the voters and the government
- New York Times (Glenn Thrush and Jeremy W. Peters) — Charges of Vote Stealing in Florida Portend More Distrust in System for 2020
Looking to the future, Democrats face big question: Play to the center or go for broke and move to the left?
- New York Times (Kenneth P. Vogel) — Midterms Aside, Big Donors See a Leftward Path to Beating Trump
- New York Times (Elizabeth Dias) — Evangelicals, Looking to 2020, Face the Limits of Their Base
Orange County, California: Heart of modern conservative movement turns blue. What does this mean for the American future?
In victory for religious liberty, Trump administration grants relief from contraceptive mandate for religious organizations
Journalism redefined: How the moral revolution requires changes in every dimension of the culture
- New York Times (Christina Caron) — In ‘Rainbow Wave,’ L.G.B.T. Candidates Are Elected in Record Numbers
Desperation of pro-abortion movement on full display as activists launch online abortion pill service
- Philadelphia Inquirer (Marie McCullough) — Online abortion pills come to the U.S., as the right to abortion is on the line
Why all of our political struggles shouldn’t be reduced to a Manichean conflict between absolute goodness and absolute evil
- New York Times (Charles M. Blow) — You Have a Right to Weariness
- New York Times (Timothy Egan) — Good News: Democracy Has a Pulse
- New York Times (Paul Krugman) — Real America Versus Senate America
Bringing together a divided America: Congress poised to pass bipartisan criminal justice reform
- New York Times (Nicholas Fandos and Maggie Haberman) — Trump Embraces a Path to Revise U.S. Sentencing and Prison Laws
- New York Times (Shaila Dewan and Carl Hulse) — Republicans and Democrats Cannot Agree on Absolutely Anything. Except This.
Sovereignty, subsidiarity, and the future of Europe: What the Brexit deal tells us about the prospect of the EU
What Amazon's plans for HQ2 can teach us about the intersection of economics and the Christian worldview?
- New York Times (Karen Weise and J. David Goodman) — Before a Deal, Amazon Had to Know: Could Cuomo and De Blasio Get Along?
- Wall Street Journal (Editors) — What Is Amazon Getting From New York City and Virginia?
Transgender rights trump protecting women as Anchorage women’s homeless shelter comes under fire
The death of free speech in Berkeley: Students call for resignation of student senator who dared to challenge transgender orthodoxy
- San Francisco Chronicle (Nanette Asimov) — UC Berkeley campus senator abstains from a vote. Now students want her out
Liberalism beyond the classroom: New study reveals administrators are even more liberal than professors on college campuses
What the legacy of Stan Lee teaches us about the reality of human beings as narrative creatures
- USA Today (Brian Truitt) — Legendary Marvel Comics creator Stan Lee dies at 95
- New York Times (Jonathan Kandell and Andy Webster) — Stan Lee Is Dead at 95; Superhero of Marvel Comics
High-profile trial of notorious drug lord ‘El Chapo’ poses unique security challenges in New York City
- Wall Street Journal (Nicole Hong and Zolan Kanno-Youngs) — Trial of ‘El Chapo’ Poses Unprecedented Challenges
Honor among thieves: How one mobster's demise reveals the inevitability of a moral order
- New York Times (Robert D. McFadden) — Whitey Bulger Is Dead in Prison at 89; Long-Hunted Boston Mob Boss
Vatican bars U.S. Bishops from taking action on sex abuse scandal, exposes structural fault in Roman Catholicism
- Baltimore Sun (Jonathan M. Pitts) — Sex abuse crisis at highest levels of U.S. Catholic church to dominate agenda at bishops' meeting in Baltimore
- Washington Post (Julie Zauzmer) — U.S. bishops will debate enforcing a code of conduct, in response to sexual abuse scandals
- National Catholic Reporter (Michael Sean Winters) — Bishops' meeting bombshell: Vatican says no voting on abuse crisis
- Wall Street Journal (Ian Lovett and Francis X. Rocca) — Vatican Bars U.S. Bishops’ Action on Sex Abuse
New president of Planned Parenthood spends first day on the job trying to convince Americans Planned Parenthood has nothing to do with abortion
- National Review (Alexandra DeSanctis) — Planned Parenthood’s New President Appears on CBS and Doesn’t Mention Abortion Once
Embracing insanity: In age of autonomous individual, one man takes this to its logical end, suing to lower his age 20 years
- USA Today (Joel Shannon) — Man, 69, sues to lower his age 20 years. He says it will help him on Tinder
Two stories about death and evil—one moral evil, one natural evil—dominate weekend headlines out of California
- Los Angeles Times (Louis Sahagan and Joseph Serna) — Death toll jumps to 29 in Camp fire
- New York Times (Jose A. Del Real, Jennifer Medina and Tim Arango) — California Shooting Kills 12 at Country Music Bar, a Year After Las Vegas
Amidst charges and counter charges of election fraud, we still don’t know the outcome of major elections. What does this reveal about the nature of democracy?
On 100th anniversary of end of World War I, Christians must reflect with humility on the legacy of the Great War
Is there still a distinction between boys and girls? Lawsuit between Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts forces important cultural conversation
How a change in one retailer's corporate policy reveals moral confusion of modern age
- Wall Street Journal (Khadeeja Safdar) — Under Armour’s #MeToo Moment: No More Strip Clubs on Company Dime
When a culture reevaluates how it is structured, even bake sales may seem out of step
Just how important should politics be? Why Christians should be the first to understand that politics, while important, is not ultimate
- Washington Post ( Devlin Barrett, Matt Zapotosky, and Josh Dawsey) — Attorney General Jeff Sessions resigns at Trump’s request
Welcome to the 2020 presidential campaign: the cycles of modern American politics
What the outcome of the midterm elections has to do with the resignation of Jeff Sessions