Albert Mohler - The Briefing
The emerging corporate conscience: What is behind a shift in Walmart’s strategy when it comes to social issues?
- Wall Street Journal (Sarah Nassauer) — Walmart Takes a Stand on Guns, Gay Rights to Get People to Like It More
Rodgers and Hammerstein meet the sexual revolution as ‘Oklahoma’ gets overhauled
Prestige vs. Popularity: As Oscars seek to reverse declining ratings, many in Hollywood push back
The story behind the story as LGBT candidates appear on ballots in record numbers
- New York Times (Liam Stack and Catie Edmondson) — A ‘Rainbow Wave’? 2018 Has More L.G.B.T. Candidates Than Ever
- New York Times (Liam Stack) — Christine Hallquist on Her Primary Victory: ‘It Gives the Transgender Community Hope’
What the prosecution of a 95-year-old Nazi guard reveals about the difference between the biblical and the secular worldviews
- Washington Post (Rick Noack) — 95-year-old Nazi guard living in the U.S. deported to Germany as prosecutions for Holocaust crimes surge
Wherever the cross of Christ appears, it must always be acknowledged as the cross of Christ
Trinity Western University changes direction on student covenant. What’s at stake for religious schools?
- Inside Higher (Elizabeth Redden) — Christian University Drops Ban on Same-Sex Student Relationships
- Trinity Western University — TWU Reviews Community Covenant
- Indy Star (Holly V. Hays) — Roncalli, Southport students dot football stadium with rainbows in support of suspended counselor
In a frighteningly short amount of time, Scotland becomes a strikingly secular nation
- BBC — Majority of Scots say they are 'not religious'
- Humanist Society Scotland — Beliefs in Scotland 2018
- The Guardian (Severin Carrell) — What God has not joined together: the rise of the humanist wedding
How long can you have faithful church members when you have a faithless church leaders?
- International journal for the Study of the Christian Church (David Brown) — Scotland: religion, culture and national identity
- Scottish Review of Books — The SRB Interview: Richard Holloway
The theological issues lurking under the headlines in the Roman Catholic sex abuse scandal
- Philadelphia Inquirer (David Gambacorta) — Priests ran child porn ring in Pittsburgh diocese: state AG's grand jury report
Who is your priest? Where is your priest? How a debate from the Reformation continues to define today’s news
When a name isn’t just a name: Why the Mormon Church’s announcement of a name change is actually about a theological assertion
- New York Times (Julia Jacobs) — Stop Saying ‘Mormon,’ Church Leader Says. But Is the Real Name Too Long?
- Washington Post (Allyson Chiu) — Stop calling the Mormon Church ‘Mormon,’ says church leader. ‘LDS’ is out, too.
What is the basic distinction between human beings and animals?
Confusion about distinctions between animals and humans moves from high end of developmental scale to low end of developmental scale
- New York Times (Hannah Beech) — Pet Cremation: Seeking ‘Good Afterlife’ for Bangkok’s Pampered Dogs
- Wall Street Journal (Josh Jacobs and Matthew Dalton) — In France, Even the Rats Have Rights
A post-Christian culture in Southern California? Image of Bible in ads leads to death threats, removal of ad
- Orange County Register (Alicia Robinson) — Irvine Co. removes SoCal Harvest ad from Fashion Island mall after alleged threat
- Daily Press (L.J. Gambone) — Threats prompt removal of Harvest Crusade ads in Orange County
Colorado once again targets cake baker Jack Phillips, falling for trap set by sexual revolutionaries
- Washington Post (Amy Wang) — Baker claims religious persecution again — this time after denying cake for transgender woman
- Washington Times (Alex Swoyer) — Christian baker vindicated by SCOTUS back in court for not baking a gender transitioning cake
- National Review (David French) — Colorado Defies the Supreme Court, Renews Persecution of a Christian Baker
How abolishing the death penalty undermines justice and leads to a further devaluing of human life
- Wall Street Journal (Joseph M. Bessette) — The Pope Makes a Fatal Error
- Pew Research Center (Baxter Oliphant) — Public support for the death penalty ticks up
Who has the ultimate authority? USA Today gets right to the real issue behind the death penalty debate
New, expanding wave of sexual abuse allegations rocks Roman Catholic Church
- New York Time (Laurie Goodstein and Sharon Otterman) — ‘They Hid It All’: Catholic Priests Abused 1,000 Children in Pennsylvania, Report Says
- Washington Post (Michelle Boorstein and Gary Gately) — More than 300 accused priests listed in Pennsylvania report on Catholic Church sex abuse
- Washington Post (Chico Harlan) — Why the Vatican continues to struggle with sex abuse scandals
- Wall Street Journal (William McGurn) — When the Cardinal Sins
Lessons from Willow Creek: What we must learn from the mishandling of sexual misconduct allegations at one of America’s largest protestant churches
- New York Times (Laurie Goodstein) — He’s a Superstar Pastor. She Worked for Him and Says He Groped Her Repeatedly.
It tells us something about human nature that human beings will gamble on just about anything, including opera
In the great battle of worldviews, the United States now competes with China for the attention and ambition of emerging nations
- Los Angeles Times (Robyn Dixon) — China threatens to demolish a mosque, the same day it faces questions at the U.N. over its treatment of Muslims
As Xi Jinping’s power expands, Christians and Muslims in China see their freedoms shrink
- Associated Press (Yanan Wang) — Christian heartland opens window into fight for China’s soul
- Washington Post (Editors) — China seeks to wage ‘unremitting struggle’ against the country’s intellectuals
- New York Times (Steven Lee Myers and Olivia Mitchell Ryan) — Burying ‘One Child’ Limits, China Pushes Women to Have More Babies
In an increasingly secular age, the only churches that will survive are those that are distinctively Christian
A classic case study in secularization: How church attendance in Quebec can go from 95% to 5% in one lifetime
Questions remain after tragic human drama plays out in the air over Seattle
- Seattle PI (Zosha Millman) — Sea-Tac Horizon employee identified, authorities unclear how he attained flying skills
- Associated Press (Rachel La Corte and Keith Ridler) — Employees pose big potential danger to aviation, experts say
One year after deadly confrontation in Charlottesville, Christians must be very clear that biblical Christianity is incompatible with any claim of racial superiority
- Washington Post (Joe Heim, Peter Hermann, Perry Stein and Marissa J. Lang) — White-supremacist rally near White House dwarfed by thousands of anti-hate protesters
Why we should be careful with our language when using the terms ‘Left’ and ‘Right’ to describe the different ideological sides in partisan politics
As always, words matter. Even when you ‘throw in the towel’ or ‘chuck up the sponge’
Andy Stanley, once again, makes an argument that subverts the authority of Scripture and casts doubt upon biblical Christianity
- AlbertMohler.com (Albert Mohler) — Getting ‘unhitched’ from the Old Testament? Andy Stanley aims at heresy
- Seekers & Speakers (Jonathan Merritt) — Andy Stanley
A problem for feminists in Germany? Why the German language threatens the deeply ingrained trajectory in German culture
The more consequences of social media: Is what we grew out of in high school now what we lean into on Twitter?
Another collision between religious liberty and sexual liberty: Lawsuit filed against University of Iowa for expelling Christian student group
- Iowa City Press-Citizen (Aimee Breaux) — D.C.-based firm bankrolls another religious freedom lawsuit against University of Iowa
- Christianity Today (Tish Harrison Warren) — The Wrong Kind of Christian
What’s missing from the coverage of Hollywood’s failure to make progress on diversity?
- USA Today (Andrea Mandell) — 'No progress made': Hollywood fails new diversity study
- Variety (Brent Lang) — Despite Diversity Push, Women and Minorities Aren’t Getting Better Movie Roles
The sexual revolution consumes its own: What we can learn from the backlash to Scarlett Johansson’s casting in, then withdrawal from, transgender role
- New York Times (Amanda Svachula) — Scarlett Johansson Withdraws From Transgender Role After Backlash
- Business Insider (Daniella Greenbaum) — Scarlett Johansson is being unfairly criticized for doing her job after being cast as a transgender man
Lithromantic, aliagender, and dead name: Introducing the new, never-ending, always-expanding glossary for the gender revolution
A society that argues some have the right to demand their death will eventually argue that all have the right to demand that very death, even the youngest
Separating the real from the ideal: How a corruption of human beauty becomes a huge problem
- Washington Post (Allyson Chiu) — Patients are desperate to resemble their doctored selfies. Plastic surgeons alarmed by ‘Snapchat dysmorphia.’
- JAMA (Susruthi Rajanala, BA; Mayra B. C. Maymone, MD, DSc; Neelam A. Vashi, MD) — Selfies—Living in the Era of Filtered Photographs
- 1843 (Amy Odell) — Read my lips: the rise and rise of photo-editing
One of the bloodiest weekends in the history of Chicago represents a challenge to all Christians in all places
Frustrated by the slow pace of secularization, researchers turn to artificial intelligence for answers
How satisfying can individually-designed secular rituals actually be?
When you change the language about God, you are redefining God and worshipping a different deity
- Washington Post (Julie Zauzmer) — The Episcopal Church will revise its beloved prayer book but doesn’t know when
The self as the center of the universe: How the language of addiction has replaced the language of theology in our modern secular society
- USA Today (Caroline Simon) — Sex addictions are deeply misunderstood. A new classification could change that.
Experts remain unconvinced as World Health Organization identifies new internet gaming disorder
- New York Times (Benedict Carey) — Endless Gaming May Be a Bad Habit. That Doesn’t Make It a Mental Illness.
A sign of the times: Videogame parents open their wallets, hire coaches in pursuit of competitive edge
- Wall Street Journal (Sarah E. Needleman) — Ready, Aim, Hire a ‘Fortnite’ Coach: Parents Enlist Videogame Tutors for Their Children
In new Pew study, many see belief as merely an attitude with no expectation of religious behavior
Vatican changes church teaching, says the death penalty is unacceptable in all circumstances
- Washington Post (Chico Harlan) — Pope Francis changes Catholic Church teaching to say death penalty is ‘inadmissible’
Does doctrine change? Understanding the fundamental divide between Catholics and Protestants when it comes to the development of doctrine
- Catholic News Service (Francis X. Rocca) — Pope Francis calls for abolishing death penalty and life imprisonment
- American Conservative (Rod Dreher) — Pope Bans Death Penalty
After cave rescue, theology is in the headlines as Thai boys become temporary monks, apologize to parents
- New York Times (Ben C. Solomon and Austin Ramzy) — Boys Freed From Thai Cave Enter Monkhood to Honor Fallen Rescuer
A house built upon the sand: Revoice, LGBT identity, and biblical Christianity
What a newly claimed prophetic role reveals about the ideology of sexual revisionists
Enforced secularism in the nation’s capital: Appeals court rules transit system can ban religious speech in ads
As goes the Supreme Court, so goes the nation: Why the Kavanaugh nomination matters to both sides of the partisan divide
- New York Times (Peter Baker) — A Conservative Court Push Decades in the Making, With Effects for Decades to Come
What does it mean for a judge to be a ‘strict constructionist’?
Even in a secular age, the conscience of Western civilization is still haunted and shaped by the Bible
- New York Times (Idan Dershowitz) — The Secret History of Leviticus
- AlbertMohler.com — Leviticus in The New York Times: What’s the Real Story Here?