Albert Mohler - The Briefing
Grandstanding from left in New York scares off Amazon. What does this tell us about capitalism?
To be cool or to be a church? A secular culture forces churches to choose when it comes to biblical sexuality
Unbridled liberal ambition: How the ‘Green New Deal’ packages every dream of the American left in one single proposal
- New York Times (Lisa Friedman and Glenn Thrush) — Liberal Democrats Formally Call for a ‘Green New Deal,’ Giving Substance to a Rallying Cry
The reality of the ecological crisis and and the rational contours of the Christian worldview
Truth, morality, and politics: No matter what our cause, Christians must be people who always affirm the truth
Are abortion advocates on a slippery slope? What new laws reveal about the widening moral divide in America
Why political pressure is not enough to change biology
- USA Today (Susan Miller) — LGBTQ families are on the cusp of dramatic growth, and millennials lead the way
The tools of a moral revolution: Report card on LGBT issues shames states into ‘progress’
- USA Today (Jorge Ortiz) — 'Sobering reality': LGBT progress report shows gains, but most states still won't grant rights
Virginia’s soap opera continues: Will the Democrats apply their zero-tolerance policy?
- Wall Street Journal (Dave Shiflett) — Virginia’s Confederacy of Dunces
- Wall Street Journal (Gerard Baker) — Ralph Northam and the Overlords of Outrage
The new orthodoxy of identity politics: Understanding the consequences of reducing human beings to just one characteristic
- Wall Street Journal (Editorial Board) — The Democrats’ Identity Meltdown
- Washington Post (Matt Viser and Sean Sullivan) — Different Democratic controversies, same influence: identity politics
The real reason why Christians should reject identity politics
The reality of sexual abuse hits home: A massive investigative report on sexual abuse in Southern Baptist Convention
How did this happen? History, church order, and a moral crisis collide
Supreme Court and abortion: A recent decision, the question of momentum, and the sanctity of human life in America
- Washington Post (Robert Barnes) — Supreme Court on 5-to-4 vote blocks restrictive Louisiana abortion law
‘Keep up or die’: A church that won’t hold a heresy trial when confronted with heresy isn’t really a church
- New York Times (Catherine Porter) — A Canadian Preacher Who Doesn’t Believe in God
- Religion News Service (John Longhurst) — Atheist minister Gretta Vosper hopes to stay at Canadian church for the long haul
Is it possible to raise children without the notion of sin? Why a mere morality of harm isn’t sufficient
Buckle up: If you’re a German politician who wants to impose a speed limit on the Autobahn, you won’t be a politician for long
- New York Times (Katrin Bennhold) — Impose a Speed Limit on the Autobahn? Not So Fast, Many Germans Say
Knowing where we stand: Washington Post columnist says anyone who holds to biblical morality is a bigot
- Washington Post (Richard Cohen) — It’s not just Northam. Republicans must confront the bigotry of the Pences too.
What does Planned Parenthood mean when it says it wants "reproductive justice"?
- Courier-Journal (Andrew Wolfson) — Planned Parenthood makes big money move to fight right-wing attacks
Reproduction, race, and sex-selection abortions: Why abortion isn't the fundamental right sexual revolutionaries say it is
- Courier-Journal (Joan Kofodimos) — Hypocritical abortion bill would hurt people of color in Kentucky
The pageantry of democracy: As President Trump delivers State of the Union address, drama fills the chamber
“Made in the holy image of God”—The one specific moment in last night’s State of the Union that highlights our culture’s vast worldview divide
One of the most respected scientists in the world won’t stop talking about aliens. What does this tell us about modern science?
- Washington Post (Avi Selk) — Harvard’s top astronomer says an alien ship may be among us — and he doesn’t care what his colleagues think
A morality tale lived out: As Virginia’s governor faces calls for resignation, lieutenant governor is confronted with allegations of sexual assault
- Washington Post (Theresa Vargas) — Va. Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax denies sex assault allegation from 2004
Lessons from the Cold War: Why many European elites refuse to learn from history
- Wall Street Journal (Michael R. Gordon, Courtney McBride and Dave Cole) — The History of a Cold War Missile Treaty
When it comes to world affairs, what you see is not always what you get
Racism, human dignity, and leadership: Understanding the serious moral issues behind the controversy over Virginia governor’s yearbook photo
- New York Times (Alan Blinder and Trip Gabriel) — In Virginia Governor’s Turmoil, Democrats See an Agenda at Risk
The power of sports: Why it’s significant that the Super Bowl is the last major event in American society in which everyone watches
- Wall Street Journal (Andrew Beaton) — Super Bowl Sunday Is Bigger Than Football
- Wall Street Journal (Suzanne Vranica) — Shhh! The Surprise Super Bowl Ad Is Back in Vogue
Historic milestone or no big deal? Differing views on Colorado’s gay governor reveal speed of moral revolution
Democrats enraged as Howard Schultz considers 2020 presidential bid. Is there a path for a candidate who is socially liberal and economically conservative?
- New York Times (David Leonhardt) — The Howard Schultz Delusion
- New York Times (Andrew Ross Sorkin) — Howard Schultz Draws Fire From Trump and Bloomberg Over 2020 Plans
Seeking to heal the nations, New Age guru Marianne Williamson enters 2020 presidential race
- Forbes (Margie Warrell) — Marianne Williamson: Can A Presidential Bid Fueled By Love Transcend The Politics Of Fear?
- New York Times (Ian Lovett) — Marianne Williamson, New-Age Guru, Seeks Congressional Seat
Secularism’s “us vs. them” worldview: How an attack on Pentecostalism becomes an attack on biblical Christianity
Virginia governor’s defense of abortion turns into a defense of infanticide
Even when looking at socially-liberal Europe, abortion laws are far more restrictive
As extreme cold grips the nation, human beings are reminded of our helplessness when it comes to weather
- USA Today (John Bacon, Aamer Madhani and Doyle Rice) — 'Stay inside': Death toll up to 8 people as Arctic cold blasts Midwest, East
At what age should a child be considered criminally responsible?
Growing secular antipathy to Christianity on display as New York Times reporter looks to “expose” Christian schools
Having abandoned objective truth claims, religious left faces uphill battle as it tries to gain political traction
Why the prospect of human composting represents a devaluing of human dignity
When a religious text is taught, a religious message is communicated. What does this mean for state’s considering Bible classes in public schools?
- USA Today (Erin Richards) — Bible classes in public schools? Why Christian lawmakers are pushing a wave of new bills
- South Florida Sun Sentinel (Editors) — The Florida Legislature’s worrisome Bible bill
A secular allergy to prayer? What the battle over prayer at school board meetings tells us about the secular agenda
Japanese minimalism goes mainstream: Understanding the worldview dimensions behind the Marie Kondo phenomenon
- New York Times (Christopher Harding) — Marie Kondo and the Life-Changing Magic of Japanese Soft Power
- Bloomberg (Adam Minter) — What’s in Marie Kondo’s Closet?
Reducing politics to winners and losers is a lose-lose proposition for everyone
Trump administration offers protection for faith-based adoption agency, reversing Obama-era regulation
- Wall Street Journal (Stephanie Armour) — Trump Exempts Christian Social-Services Group From Non-Discrimination Rule
- Religion News Service (Yonat Shimron) — Government allows S.C. foster care group to keep Protestants-only policy
- Baptist News Global (Bob Allen) — BJC opposes ‘government-funded religious discrimination’ in foster care
As Andrew Cuomo tries to make mark as nation’s most progressive governor, many Catholics argue he should be excommunicated
- Washington Post (JD Flynn) — Catholics want New York’s Gov. Cuomo to be excommunicated for his abortion policy
What qualifies as a legitimate government? On of brink becoming failed state, crisis escalates in Venezuela
For the first time in a decade, Supreme Court to take up gun rights case. What are the constitutional and moral issues at stake?
Turning creation upside down: While every single human life is sacred, not every means of bringing about reproduction is morally right
A man who stood at so many hinge moments in history himself becomes part of the hinge in the sexual revolution
- New York Times (Robert D. McFadden) — Harris Wofford, 92, Ex-Senator Who Pushed Volunteerism, Is Dead
After enacting new abortion law, a mother’s womb in New York is now an even deadlier place to be
- CBS News (Caitlin O’Kane) — New York passes law allowing abortions at any time if mother's health is at risk
- New Yorker (Jia Tolentino) — How Abortion Law in New York Will Change, and How It Won’t
Why the concept of ‘lethality’ must be considered when it comes to military policy
- New York Times (Adam Liptak) — Supreme Court Revives Transgender Ban for Military Service
- Washington Examiner (Nicole Russell) — Trump's military transgender ban is more reasonable than you think
If ‘equal’ doesn’t mean ‘exactly the same’ on the Titanic, it can’t mean that in the military either
- USA Today (Gregory Korte) — Should women be required to register for the draft? Commission likely to recommend big changes
- Wall Street Journal (Heather Mac Donald) — Women Don’t Belong in Combat Units
Meet Lady Gaga, the theologian: Pop star joins shaming of Karen Pence for teaching at Christian school
- Wall Street Journal (William McGurn) — The Shaming of Karen Pence
- The Guardian (Ben Beaumont-Thomas) — Lady Gaga says Mike and Karen Pence are 'worst representation' of Christianity
Is sexuality a choice or are people ‘born this way’? Why even secular people making secular claims cannot avoid theological arguments
- NBC Think (Marcie Bianco) — Karen Pence, LGBTQ discrimination and the Christian right's embrace of victimhood
Can people change? As New York bans conversion therapy, sexual revolutionaries can’t keep their stories straight
- New York Times (Michael Gold) — New York Passes a Ban on ‘Conversion Therapy’ After Years-Long Efforts
What is beauty? The secular world is stumped when it comes to explaining beauty found in creation
Beauty meets identity politics: The danger of contemporary politics being inserted into our art museums
Why there is no independent, politically-neutral ground on which anyone, fact-checker or otherwise, can stand
- Washington Post (Elizabeth Bruenig) — Fact-checking has flourished. But it’s more complicated than it looks.
‘Global flood’ in the news: Why Christians ought not to miss this headline
- USA Today (Doyle Rice) — Ancient Antarctic ice sheet collapse could happen again, triggering a new global flood
With a history of supporting border barriers, why is the political left now so opposed to such a measure?
- New York Times (Annie Karni and Sheryl Gay Stolberg) — Trump Offers Temporary Protections for ‘Dreamers’ in Exchange for Wall Funding
- Washington Post (JM Rieger) — Trump says Democrats used to be for new border barriers. He’s right.
After controversy surrounding Women’s March, crowds dwindle and fractures are exposed
- New York Times (Michael Wines and Farah Stockman) — Smaller Crowds Turn Out for Third Annual Women’s March Events
- Washington Post (Gracy Olmstead) — The Women’s March has always been divisive. Here’s how we can fix that.
The battle over language in the March for Life: Why ‘pro-life’ is buried in a news story but ‘antiabortion’ screams from the headlines
- Washington Post (Michelle Boorstein, Julie Zauzmer and Marisa Iati) — Trump and Pence give surprise addresses at antiabortion March for Life
- The Atlantic (Ashley Fetters) — What It’s Like for Secular, Liberal Pro-lifers at the March for Life
Even when we want to, we can’t believe our eyes: Lessons learned after viral video leads to widespread rush to judgement
- New York Times (Sarah Mervosh) — Viral Video Shows Boys in ‘Make America Great Again’ Hats Surrounding Native Elder
- New York Times (Sarah Mervosh and Emily S. Rueb) — Fuller Picture Emerges of Viral Video Between Native American Man and Catholic Students
On Martin Luther King Jr. Day, we are reminded of the need to return to explicitly biblical categories when it comes to debates over human dignity